Spanish Immersion Program
for 2020-21 Kindergarten in Catawba County Schools, North Carolina
PLEASE NOTE: The Application Period for 2020-21
ended on March 16, 2020. You may still apply for the waitlist.
See our programs in action!
Catawba County Schools is proud to offer a Spanish Dual Language Immersion program at three area schools: St. Stephens Elementary, Sherrills Ford Elementary, and Startown Elementary beginning in Kindergarten.
Language immersion programs are an exciting option for parents who want their children to have the advantages of a rigorous academic program while also learning two languages – English and a target language. In a Spanish immersion program, Spanish is not taught as a subject; Spanish is the language in which instruction is delivered.
*Please note: At this time, we are only accepting students into our kindergarten programs unless your student is transferring from another similar Spanish Immersion Program and will be considered on an individual basis and we have an opening in the grade level in which you are interested. Please contact the school directly if you are interested in the first, second, or third-grade programs.
AVAILABILITY for 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
At Sherrills Ford Elementary and Startown Elementary, kindergarten students will receive approximately 90% of instruction in Spanish and 10% will be in English to facilitate early Spanish language acquisition and literacy development. As students transition to higher grades, more of the instruction shifts to English.
At St. Stephens Elementary, students will begin kindergarten with a 50/50 model of 50% English and 50% Spanish. The 50/50 model is ideal when there is an equal mix of native English speakers and native Spanish speakers.
Beginning March 2, 2020, you may submit your child's application online for the 2020-21 Spanish Immersion Program at Sherrills Ford Elementary, Startown Elementary, and/or St. Stephens Elementary . Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis for all students. Siblings of current Spanish Immersion Program students have priority during the application window.
- Tuesday, February 11, 2020, 6PM-7PM - Information Night for both Sherrills Ford Elementary and St. Stephens Elementary
- Thursday, February 13, 2020, 6PM-7PM - Information Night for both Sherrills Ford Elementary and St. Stephens Elementary
- Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 6PM-7PM - Information Night for Startown Elementary
- Thursday, February 20, 2020, 6PM-7PM - Information Night for Startown Elementary
- Monday, March 2, 2020, at 8:00AM - Spanish Immersion Application Period Begins online (click here to apply)
- Monday, March 16, 2020, at 12:00PM - Spanish Immersion Applications Acceptance Ends
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - Acceptance/Waitlist Letters are Mailed Out
- Tuesday, March 24, 2020, at 3:30PM - Deadline to Accept Position
LEARN THE BENEFITS OF BOTH PROGRAMS
Top Questions Parents Ask
Applying is Easy!
HOW TO ENROLL
Beginning on March 2, 2020, at 8:00AM, you may request enrollment for your child by applying online or at either school. Admittance is first-come first-served. The application period ends on March 16, 2020, at 3:30PM and acceptance letters/waitlist letters will be mailed out on March 17th.
Catawba County Schools | 2285 N Anderson Ave | Newton, NC 28658 | Phone: (828) 464-8333 | www.catawbaschools.net