See our programs in action!
*Startown Elementary is not featured in this district video but their 90/10 Immersion Program mirrors that of Sherrills Ford Elementary.
Catawba County Schools is proud to offer a Spanish Dual Language Immersion program at three area schools: St. Stephens Elementary, Sherrills Ford Elementary, and Startown Elementary beginning in Kindergarten.
Language immersion programs are an exciting option for parents who want their children to have the advantages of a rigorous academic program while also learning two languages – English and a target language. In a Spanish immersion program, Spanish is not taught as a subject; Spanish is the language in which instruction is delivered.
*Please note: At this time, we are only accepting students into our kindergarten programs unless your student is transferring from another similar Spanish Immersion Program and will be considered on an individual basis and we have an opening in the grade level in which you are interested. Please contact the school directly if you are interested in the first, second, or third-grade programs.
AVAILABILITY for 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR
At Sherrills Ford Elementary and Startown Elementary, kindergarten students will receive approximately 90% of instruction in Spanish and 10% will be in English to facilitate early Spanish language acquisition and literacy development. As students transition to higher grades, more of the instruction shifts to English.
At St. Stephens Elementary, students will begin kindergarten with a 50/50 model of 50% English and 50% Spanish. The 50/50 model is ideal when there is an equal mix of native English speakers and native Spanish speakers.
Beginning February 28, 2022, you may submit your child's application online for the 2022-23 Spanish Immersion Program at Sherrills Ford Elementary, Startown Elementary, and/or St. Stephens Elementary. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis for all students. Siblings of current Spanish Immersion Program students have priority during the application window.
Key Dates for 2022-23
- Tuesday, February 15, 2022, at 6:00 PM - IN-PERSON Parent Information Night at Startown Elementary
- Thursday, February 17, 2022, at 5:30 PM - VIRTUAL Parent Information Night for St. Stephens Elementary
- Thursday, February 17, 2022, at 6:30 PM - VIRTUAL Parent Information Night for St. Stephens Elementary (presented in Spanish)
- Thursday, February 17, 2022, at 6:00 PM - VIRTUAL Parent Information Night for Sherrills Ford Elementary
- Monday, February 28, 2022, at 8:00 AM - Spanish Immersion Application Period Begins online (click here to apply (waitlist only after 3/14/22)
- Monday, March 14, 2022, at 12:00 PM - Spanish Immersion Applications Acceptance Ends
- Tuesday, March 15, 2022 - Acceptance/Waitlist Letters are Mailed Out
- Wednesday, March 23, 2022, at 3:30 PM - Deadline to Accept Position
LEARN THE BENEFITS OF BOTH PROGRAMS
Top Questions Parents Ask
Applying is Easy!
HOW TO ENROLL
Beginning on February 28, 2022, at 8:00AM, you may request enrollment for your child by applying online or at any of the three schools. Admittance is first-come first-served. The application period ends on March 14, 2022, at 12:00PM and acceptance letters/waitlist letters will be mailed out on March 15th.
Catawba County Schools | 2285 N Anderson Ave | Newton, NC 28658 | Phone: (828) 464-8333 | www.catawbaschools.net